Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala is the Chairman of National Bank for Agriculture and Rural Development (NABARD) since December 18, 2013. He is a Post Graduate in Management from IIM Ahmedabad and holds Ph.D. in Management. He has been awarded honorary doctorate in Science by Tamil Nadu Agricultural University, Coimbatore.
Dr Bhanwala has consistently espoused the cause of enhancing farmers' income through creation of agri & irrigation infrastructure viz. under Long Term Irrigation Fund, Micro Irrigation Fund, Dairy Processing and Infrastructure Development Fund etc. Under his leadership, NABARD received accreditation as National Implementing Entity by the Adaptation Fund Board & Green Climate Fund (GCF) of the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change (UNFCCC).
Under his Chairmanship, NABARD is carrying out major institutional development initiatives. Over 200 rural co-operative banks (RCBs), that serve the rural masses, have been brought under Core Banking Solution through a cloud based platform, enabling them to mainstream their services on par with commercial banks. 63,000 Primary Agriculture Credit Societies (PACS) affiliated to these banks are to be computerised and integrated with their CBS during next three years, further widening the Financial Inclusion landscape. Under his guidance, digitisation for the world's largest microfinance programme has been initiated i.e. digitization of Self Help Groups (SHGs) aiming to cover eight million SHGs constituting 100 million households across the country. Digitisation of SHG accounts has brought about transparency, enhanced bankers’ comfort in credit appraisal and facilitated provision of hassle free credit & banking services to millions of poor households at their doorsteps.
During his tenure in India Infrastructure Finance Company Ltd. (IIFCL), he had pioneered the 'Credit Enhancement Scheme' that took a holistic view of the credit needs of customers and ensured sufficient availability of funds at reasonable interest rates to successfully complete the large infrastructure projects. He held the position of Executive Director and CMD of IIFCL.
Dr. Bhanwala guides many national level institutions as a member of the Board. The major ones include the Deposit Insurance & Credit Guarantee Corporation (DICGC), Institute of Rural Management Anand (IRMA), Small Farmers’ Agri-Business Consortium (SFAC), National Cooperative Development Corporation (NCDC), Indian Institute of Banking & Finance (IIB&F), National Institute of Bank Management (NIBM). He is the Chairman of Bankers Institute of Rural Development (BIRD), NABARD Consultancy Services (NABCONS), Board of Supervision of NABARD.
- Nabard begins survey to study effects of financial inclusion
- Incentivize long term farm investment to reduce distress: Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, Chairman, NABARD
- Chairman's interview in The Financial Express
- Farmers first, says NABARD Chairman
- Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala takes charge as NABARD Chairman
- Chairman's speech at Shri Nabakrushna Choudhury Memorial Lecture-2016 - “Challenges in Financing Small and Marginal Farmers in India with Special Reference to Eastern India
- Convocation Address by Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, Chairman, NABARD at the Fourth Convocation of Tata–Dhan Academy, Madurai
- Chairman’s Convocation Speech at the 46th Convocation of the Acharya N G Ranga Agricultural University, Guntur, Andhra Pradesh
- National Seminar on “Mitigating Agrarian Distress and Enhancing Farm Income" - Speech by Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, Chairman, NABARD - 12 July 2015
- Chairman delivers Dr. N. N. Dastur Memorial Lecture
- Inside India’s Best PSUs: Chairman’s Interview on Bloomberg TV
- National Microfinance Conclave 2014 - Speech by Dr. Harsh Kumar Bhanwala, Chairman, NABARD
- Three Decades Celebrations of NABARD - Speech by Chairman
- Chairman's Speech at Conference on microfinance, College Of Agriculture Banking, Pune
- Interview with Nabard Chairman