a) Core / priority areas: comprising
- Soil and water conservation (including watershed programmes, dryland farming systems)
- Plantation and horticulture (tree based farming, Bamboo based farming, wadi development, organic farming, energy plantations)
- Forestry activities (rehabilitation and management /Community Forest management, biodiversity conservation)
- Farming systems management (including livestock and aquaculture resources)
- Climate change adaptation / Clean Development Mechanism (CDM)
b) Supplementary / support areas: including forward and backward linkages and livelihood generating activities:
- Processing, storage, marketing,
- Critical rural infrastructure (including rural roads, minor irrigation, drinking water)
- Renewable energy (micro/mini-hydel, biomass based power generation, biofuels, wind-power, solar power)
- Livelihood generating activities (dairy, poultry, fisheries, etc)
- any other activity which supports the efficient implementation of the projects covering the core areas and thereby intensifying their impact.
c) Information & Knowledge Management (IKM) and Capacity Building: Necessary enablers such as capacity building, project preparation, planning, infrastructure, Information & Knowledge Management systems, etc. would be covered under the NRM sector.
It is mentioned here that core activities are the prerequisite for taking up the UPNRM projects meaning thereby that core NRM activities either should have been taken up in any of the earlier programmes implemented in the project area or should form part of the proposed project under UPNRM.