1. The Sustainable Development Goals aim to provide Clean Water and Sanitation for all. Access to safe water, sanitation and hygienic conditions is essential to protect human health during infectious disease outbreaks, especially in the times of on-going COVID-19 pandemic.
2. Keeping in mind the above, it has been decided to provide Special Refinance Facility to eligible financial institutions for financing WASH related activities such as construction of toilets/ twin-pit toilets, converting toilet to toilet-cum-bathroom with piped water connection, construction of overhead water tanks, additional bathroom-cum-toilet, installing piped water connection, retrofitting and up-gradation of dysfunctional toilets, setting up of bio-gas plants using human excreta, cow dung and kitchen waste, rainwater harvesting structures, etc. An illustrative list of activities is given in the Annexure.
3. The financing to WASH activities is a ‘Thrust’ area and will be eligible for 95% of eligible loan as refinance. Refinance will be available at concessional rate of interest, i.e. 5.70% p.a. at quarterly rest. Interest rate on refinance are subject to change from time to time.
4. It is expected that the benefit of the concessional refinance will be appropriately factored in while fixing the interest rate for the ultimate borrower by the bank.
5. The detailed operational guidelines are furnished in the annexure.