Signing of Financing Agreement and Separate Agreement to the Financing Agreement - KfW - Soil Project Phase II
24 December 2018 09:47 PM
In order to address climate change issues along with restoration and rehabilitation of degraded soils for ensuring food security, under ‘One World No Hunger’, KfW Germany is implementing Soil Restoration and Rehabilitation programme in 123 watershed projects completed by NABARD under Watershed Development Fund. The programme is being implemented over a period of 4 years until December 2019 in the states of Karnataka, Andhra Pradesh, Telangana, Odisha and Chhattisgarh, with total Financial Component of EUR 10 million.
2 Based on the successful implementation of this project, the German Government has further allocated 5 million Euro for extending the project to two states namely Jharkhand and Kerala. Further to the clearances received from DFS, and DEA, MoF, GOI, NABARD has signed the Financing Agreement and the Separate Agreement to the Financing Agreement which lays down the details for project implementation by NABARD on the 24th December 2018 in the KfW Office in New Delhi.
3 NABARD will implement the project in completed watershed areas and the components (adaptation measures) for climate resilient livelihoods under each project would be finalized based on the participatory vulnerability assessment approaches as a part of Detailed Project Report (DPR). The process would include the following steps:
• Primary weather data collection (long-term data) for the watershed area
• Participatory vulnerability analysis
• Climate analysis by climate expert
• Finalization of adaptation options through community participation and climate experts / subject matter specialist interactions
4 The major components of the project will include the following:
• Complementary Soil and Water Conservation Component
• Soil health improvement and productivity enhancement measures
• Climate Resilient Livelihoods Systems and sustainable farming practices
• Risk Mitigation
• Water Budgeting
• Knowledge Management